Alvin

Alvin
Alvin sticks out his tongue when he is nervous

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Role Reversal

A few days ago when I approached Alvin and he once again became skittish and started to run away, I started to wonder what would happen if I ran away from him?  I was hoping it wouldn't cause his brain to explode with confusion and I decided I'd give it a whirl.  Would he still run away?  Stare at me like the lunatic I have become?  Chase me?  I'll be darned if he didn't immediately start trotting after me and stayed right on my heels.  I decided to do a few loops so that it would seem familiar and ironically that was the only time he quit chasing me and chose to just cut me off at the pass.  It didn't seem as though he was playing but he was at least interested in the pursuit.  I wondered if it might feel empowering to finally get to be the one in pursuit.  I quickly realized that there was a few flaws in my plan because it was over 100 degrees outside and although we were inside, I may be the only person in all of Concord that still doesn't have air conditioning.  I also quickly realized that playing a chasing game has significant limitations when attempting to do it in a house that is less than 800 square feet.  Last, I realized how dreadfully out of shape I was because withing minutes I was huffing and puffing and Alvin was just getting warmed up.  That little guy has impressive endurance considering all the laps he is used to running on his own track field aka my living room.  I started to question what I would possibly say if someone were to walk through the door to find me out of breath, sweaty, while prancing around in circles with Alvin following me, and even if I were to claim to have been drinking or having suffered a short term psychotic break, it still wouldn't make sense and so I quit.  It did, however, peak my interest and when it cools down and there is a guarantee that no one will be able to video it and put it on youtube, I am going to give it another try.  It really does just keep getting weirder and weirder around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment