Alvin

Alvin
Alvin sticks out his tongue when he is nervous

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

You're Killing Me

I always appreciate when you readers take the time to write comments and I have carefully read all the new ones as to why I need to adopt Alvin.  I am so weak when it comes to him that every comment makes me even more shaky in my resolution that he should be adopted by someone else.  I really can't argue with any of your comments.  My biggest hold up is that I am currently renting a home and the landlord is very animal friendly and told me that I could have as many animals as I wanted.  I actually made her come up with a limit for fear that if she didn't, I would end up with Noah's Ark minus the Ark.  I also have a large back yard here.  Living in the bay area of California, it is rare to be able to rent a house that has a back yard and even rarer to find a landlord that allows so many pets.  I don't know how long I will be able to rent this house because they had previously mentioned wanting to sell it in five years and I have been here for four-and-a-half years.  I don't think I can afford to buy it for what they will want for it.  Alvin in a home without a backyard would be a disaster because he doesn't have the concept of holding it and I don't think it's a concept he will ever get.  When he has to go, he has to go and so I would contend with constant messes and can you imagine if it were carpeted?  Also, I don't know who would rent to a person with two dogs and a cat?  He has been here now for nearly nine months and so who knows, I may end up taking a leap of faith and adopting him but for right now, all of his needs are being met and since there hasn't even been one adoption application in the nearly two-and-a-half years that he has been with Camp Cocker Rescue, I don't think he is going anywhere anytime soon.  Plus, can you imagine the scrutiny I would put the perspective adopter under?  I would bet that I would be met with a frustrated replay of, "listen lady, I'm just trying to adopt a dog.  I don't know why you are insisting on interviewing all my neighbors, doing a criminal background check and asking for a note from my mother.  And why again do you think you are going to need to spend the night for the first month that he is here, and what is the hidden camera for?"  Forget Alvin being hard to adopt, I would be the one that everyone would flee from.  So, for now he remains Alvin Stanley, but if truth be told, I have tried out the name Alvin White on him a few times and I do like the sound of it.

1 comment:

  1. I would adopt that little man in a heartbeat. I had two cockers up until August: an elderly goofball named Lucky and a little chocolate girl named Cocoa who I adopted from a cocker rescue. Lucky lived to age 17, but in August it was determined that the kindest thing would be to let him go, as he could no longer stand up without assistance, had no control of bowel or bladder anymore, and on the day of the euth, he seemed to have forgotten how to drink water. Cocoa misses having her friend around, and from what I read about Alvin on your blog, he and Cocoa are like 2 peas in a pod.

    I hope you do adopt Alvin. It's obvious from your blog how much you love the little guy. :)

    ReplyDelete