Alvin

Alvin
Alvin sticks out his tongue when he is nervous

Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Adoption Discussion

My 11-year-old niece, Maisy was over last weekend and decided to officially sit me down to have the adoption discussion with me.  She was very serious and quite articulate as she called Alvin over to explain to me why I needed to officially adopt him.  It only made it more painful when she kept insisting on addressing Alvin directly and including him in on the discussion.  As she explained that because he has been here a long time and feels as though he has already been adopted, I nearly went to the computer screen and asked, "readers is that you?" because she sounded just like the comments I have read on here from many of you.  I made her swear that she hadn't been reading your comments and parroting them.  She then explained that no, she sounded like the rest of you because "we all are telling the truth."  Good grief!  I explained to her that since he has been up for adoption for nearly two-and-a-half years that we were probably headed towards adoption, if for no other reason than no one else was vying for him.  She explained that he needed to be officially adopted and something about his self esteem.  For crying out loud!  She then came out with the zinger by asking Alvin, "Alvie, do you want to be adopted?" And of course Alvin did one of his circles, which she pointed out was proof positive that not only did he understand, but that he clearly was communicating his desire to be adopted.  Wait until I put a bow around his neck, drop him off at her dad's house, with the official adoption papers that list Maisy White as his adoptive mother.  I am willing to bet he will be back on my doorstep within 30 minutes with a cease and desist notice attached to his collar. 

3 comments:

  1. 1billion % agree w/Maisy!!!! another point to consider...NOBODY, and i mean NOBODY will ever understand Alvin the way you do Janet!!! i check every day, several times, for an Alvin update & i am consistently stunned and amazed at the depth & level of observation you have for Alvin!! again, NOBODY!!!! margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maisy, you rock! She is totally on the money when stating that Alvin thinks he is already home. There is no more perfect home for him than the one he is in (except maybe your Mom's house). I too check daily and I'm thrilled when there's a new Alvin post. How smart of Alvin to signal his wish to be formally adopted by performing his signature circle maneuver.
    Chyrl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree - I can't see anyone having the time, knowledge and sense of humour to deal with Alvin like you do. And how would we all cope without our blog??

    ReplyDelete