Alvin

Alvin
Alvin sticks out his tongue when he is nervous

Monday, May 7, 2012

Grandma's Baby

My mom often calls Alvin, baby and it's not necessarily a term of endearment but rather, an accurate description of who he is.  Alvin reminds us both of a baby because there is an utter innocence about him that I have never seen in an adult dog.  Alvin has yet to show that he can be naughty.  It is hard to adequately describe how innocent and pure he is.  My dog, Timmie was the most caring, loving, people pleasing dog I have ever known but he could be naughty.  Every dog I have known was capable of being naughty, except for Alvin.  My mom and I were discussing this and he is truly like having a baby, but rather, a puppy in Alvin's case.  Alvin often has a puppy look, but then coupled with what I can only describe as an untainted mentality, he is like having a puppy, without the chewing.

Speaking of grandma's baby, it was definitely not lost on me that my mom was unusually quiet when I discussed the idea of Alvin going back to live at his former foster home so that he could play with the other dogs.  In every other case, when I have had a foster dog and was discussing a potential adoptive home, or really any other living arrangement, my mom was very vocal about what a great plan she thought it was.  If my mom had it her way, my house would be comprised of my cat and me.  I expected her to give me numerous reasons why it was a grand idea for Alvin to go back to his former foster home and yet, I was met with complete silence.  I repeatedly asked her for her opinion and I got nothin'.  When I informed her that Alvin would indeed be staying here, I still got nothin', except for a very fake rolling of the eyes.  I do believe that she will be very happy for Alvin if he finds a nice, caring home with another playful dog or two, but I am certain that I won't be crying alone if he leaves us.  In fact, I am starting to suspect that I will be the one doing the comforting if grandma loses her baby.  I wouldn't be able to convince her of that right now, but if the time comes, I will be sure to stock up on the Kleenex, while she blubbers to me that she doesn't miss that darn old Alvin one bit.

2 comments:

  1. Admit it, you both LOVE ALVIN!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree, you both love Alvin! truth be told, i want him to stay with you. i think it would be too detrimenal for him to go elsewhere. and i think it was meant to be. nobody else can love and understand Alvin as you can. jmho but think about it.

    ReplyDelete